[FRIAM] the pseudoscience of evolutionary psychology?

Nick Thompson nickthompson at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 14 13:48:29 EST 2018

Dear Glen and Peter,

I started out my career calling myself an Ethologist and studying communication in monkeys and then crows. I ended my career as an Evolutionary Psychologist studying human infant’s cries.  So I feel some obligation to stand up to your critique, while acknowledging that much of it is fair.

Lots going on right now so I will have to go at this slowly.  But for starters could we just agree to avoid saying anything stupid.  The two most obvious stupidities to avoid are:

Human Evolutionary history has nothing to do with contemporary human behavior

Human Evolutionary history has everything to do with contemporary human behavior.

Once the two extreme positions have been set aside, we are left in the messy middle.

Under what circumstances and in which domains does knowledge of human evolutionary history have anything to contribute to our understanding of contemporary human behavior?

I would love to have a sustained, thoughtful discussion of this question on this list.  It is very close to my heart.   Because I don’t have time, right now,  to write a screed, or even a rant, I shall fall back on that practice favored by all academic scoundrels:  I shall cite one of my own papers. <https://www.researchgate.net/publication/302220782_My_Descent_from_the_Monkey>   (If this link doesn’t work, could somebody let me know, please?)

I hope we can carry this on for some time, but SLOWLY, please, so I can keep up.

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson

 <http://home.earthlink.net/~nickthompson/naturaldesigns/> http://home.earthlink.net/~nickthompson/naturaldesigns/