[FRIAM] the pseudoscience of evolutionary psychology?

Pieter Steenekamp pieters at randcontrols.co.za
Sat Feb 17 01:33:20 EST 2018

I'm not a psychologist but I currently work in the field of AI deep
learning and this is modeled on the human brain, so let me comment on
Dave's question from my insight I developed working in this field.

In addition to the evospych component of human behavior, the human brain
also works like a "scenario simulator/tester". Our evospych component is
similar to those find in other animals, but the  "scenario simulator/tester" is
practically unique in humans. It's strong in humans and very weak or absent
in animals. The brain's simulator has a model of the world to simulate
different scenarios and compares the outcome to select the action resulting
in the best outcome. The actual behavior is then a combination of
evospych (instinct)
and reason (using the simulator).

Just an afternote on my work. The current mainstream AI deep learning does
not have a "scenario simulator/tester", it merely uses artificial neural
networks that learn like the brain's neurons learn. The scenario
simulator/tester is new groundbreaking work spearheaded by Demis Hassibis
of DeepMind (owned by Google). I'm not an academic, I use the same
structure for commercial applications. In my work, I also include an ABM
model as part of the  "scenario simulator/tester" to model human behavior
to do dynamic pricing.