[FRIAM] the pseudoscience of evolutionary psychology?

Nick Thompson nickthompson at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 23 10:12:18 EST 2018

Glen,

I think one is an evolutionary psychologist if and only if one thinks that knowledge of human evolutionary history has something to contribute to our understanding of contemporary human behavior.  So, yes, you may call me an evolutionary psychologist.  My guess is that, on that definition, so are you.

If I am correct about all of that, the rest is details.  Very important and interesting details, mind you, but details, all the same.

And, yes, I do keep ducking your specific references to Petersen.   Which is to say, I guess, that I am stipulating that there is a lot of stupid evolutionary psychology out there.  My interest is in answering the question, When is it NOT stupid.  After all, we are talking about a field which claims to explain things that happen today in terms of things that happened 150 THOUSAND years ago.  On their face, such claims would seem tenuous, particularly if we take them as CAUSAL claims.  And what other kind of claims to increased understanding are there?

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson