[FRIAM] Object Oriented Ontology

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Thu Jul 5 02:58:40 EDT 2018

Nick

Twas I that brought the book to your attention and I have read it twice
and am using it as a foundation for writing a chapter in my Natural
Systems Design book.
Happy to discuss and perhaps answer some of your questions and help you
find the path through the forest.
davew

On Wed, Jul 4, 2018, at 7:51 PM, Nick Thompson wrote:
> Dear Colleagues,

> One of you [wretches], assigned me this book[1] for a little light
> summer reading before I left SF in March.  It was a seductive
> assignment.  In the first place, the book is a little book.  I LIKE
> little books.  Cheap and easy to carry.  In the second place, as I
> read around in it, I see echoes of Peirce in its monism and realism
> and fascination with metaphors (aka “signs”?).  Every chapter begins
> in an ingratiating introduction that gives promise of progress in the
> rational construction of a complex idea.>

> There my praise ends.  I have started all the chapters with the
> greatest of good will and have gotten thoroughly lost in every one.>

> I deeply suspect that whichever one of you [wretches] who assigned it
> to me has never read it from cover to cover.>

> SO:    Will you now do that with me?  And will others join?  It would
> be best if we could snare a few philosophers to join us because the
> author does seem to be rather deeply into philosophy, both post modern
> and the other kind.>

> It’s hard to believe that it has *nothing* to do with object oriented
> programing, but it may not.>

> Fess up!

> NIck

> Nicholas S. Thompson

> Emeritus Professor of Psychology and Biology

> Clark University

> http://home.earthlink.net/~nickthompson/naturaldesigns/

Links:

  1. https://www.amazon.com/Object-Oriented-Ontology-New-Theory-Everything/dp/0241269156/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1530754578&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=Graham+Harmon+Object+Oriented