[FRIAM] What's so bad about Scientism?

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Mon Jul 9 13:21:04 EDT 2018

Hi Glen,

I think the answer may be in what you just wrote, but a bit of assistance please. If we were to anthropomorphize your autonomous nervous system would you say it 'believed' or 'doubted' the utility of heartbeats, lungs pumping, etc.?

My interest arises from studies of Yoga adepts who "take conscious control of breathing" and upon achieving total conscious control, delegate the control back to the autonomous system which maintains the regularized, 'managed' breathing instead of the 'normal', somewhat chaotic/strange attracter-ish breathing regimen prior to the application of Yoga technique.

dave west