[FRIAM] What is an object?

glen gepropella at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 07:07:01 EDT 2018

Every one of the responses so far has said this. But it might help to say it differently, anyway. Objects, unlike utilities or functions and other "soft ware", have *particularity*. Each object is distinct from all other objects, regardless of how similar they may be.

It may be useful to analogize to music media. A vinyl LP is a particular instance of the music, as is a CD. The crisis in the music industry was largely about the ease with which we could construct, copy, instantiate, a new particulate that was very similar to the parent particulate.

Viewed in terms of particularity, objecthood is largely about lineage and the (lack of) historical accumulation of idiosyncracies.

--
glen