[FRIAM] Stanford Prison Experiment

Bela Patkai bela.patkai at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 18:26:13 EDT 2018

This is quite interesting, but I'm not sure how to conclude this story, so I've been pondering on the following options:

1. He lied, bad person!

2. One experiment (measurement) is no experiment, so what? Non-issue.

3. A large community of scientists were involved in one way or another for decades! Science has a serious credibility issue.

4. Smart experiment! How long can a convenient truth hold its foot in the door? Actually 4.7 decades - the research question is answered! Great contribution!

5. It's typical that nobody talks about the real question, i.e. does the uniform really make the jailor and to what extent? (I guess that question is answered, but still, why not frame this as "model-A is broken, use model-B"?)

6. Zimbardo is like 90 years old, bad timing!

7. Finally I understand the name of his "Heroic Imagination Project", sounds like fun!

Béla