[FRIAM] Hywel

Barry MacKichan barry.mackichan at mackichan.com
Fri Jun 22 10:09:09 EDT 2018

I second Jon’s thoughts about Hywel’s contribution to our small
group reading a gauge theory book.
I came to appreciate Hywel’s point of view. In mathematics, we prove
theorems starting with axioms or hypotheses. In spite the surpassing
usefulness of mathematics in physics, it really boils down to trying to
match a mathematical model to reality, and this always is an inductive
process, not deductive. It’s not surprising that an experimental
physicist will be more critical of some models, no matter how beautiful
they may be mathematically.

We will miss him and his thundering “Wrong!”

--Barry