[FRIAM] the pseudoscience of evolutionary psychology?

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Thu Mar 1 18:07:29 EST 2018

An observation, if this thread is not totally abandoned.

Last Thursday night I had a conversation with Brigham Young. (I am a
huge fan of and explorer of altered states of consciousness, so take
that statement as denoting an experience that my mind turned into a
visual/audio metaphor.) One of the threads in our discussion was women
and in particular why so many religions (Christianity, Islam, Mormonism)
that began with pro-woman beliefs and practices only to devolve into
abhorrent misogynistic cults. (Brigham was an ardent feminist.)
I was talking with a friend about this conversation and he challenged me
with the question: if they were so pro-female, why not practice
polyandry? My first response was he was mistaking polygyny as a
"privilege" rather than a "responsibility." Of course, the foundation of
his taking things this way was the apparent sexual availability of
multiple women.
That aside, I began thinking about why polygyny is so common and
polyandry is so rare. About 2/3 of the cultures we know about are
'officially' polygynous — multiple wives and consorts are approved and
expected. Almost a third of cultures are serial monogamist. around 1%
are monogamous, and only a handful are polyandrous. In those few that
are polyandrous, it is most commonly fraternal polyandry — marry a man
and all his brothers.
Thoughts circled back to the onus of polygyny via Mark Twain's faux
interview of Brigham Young. Brigham saying that he cannot bring a
rose to one of his wives, he must bring 27 and how expensive that is.
And, if he gives a tin whistle to one child he must give one to each,
and imagine living in a home with 40-50 kids running around blowing
tin whistles.
Almost flow of consciousness takes me back to Peterson. His "alpha
males" cannot be more than greedy little boys because they do not accept
the responsibility of their actions - they are not Men! The same scorn
directed to absentee fathers in impoverished communities has been earned
by Peterson's minions. In cultures like Mormonism and mainstream Islam,
polygyny is (was) allowed, but there are strict expectations that must
be met by the polygynist.
Finally, and to the point of this thread, might the prevalence of
polygyny and the rarity of polyandry among humans be an evolutionary
adaptation" and/or an evolutionary psychology adaptaptation?
Evidence suggests that women can accommodate the sexual needs of
multiple husbands, but not the procreative needs. cultural evolution
might allow for polyandrous relations within the context of cultural
evolution but the procreative needs would dominate biological evolution.
davew

Links:

  1. http://www.cs.unm.edu/%7Eangel