[FRIAM] Peirce's "What Pragmatism is."

Eric Charles eric.phillip.charles at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 19:46:24 EDT 2018

Glen, Ah! It seems to me you are talking about the thing believed, while I
am talking about the thing itself... could that be what is happening?

You say that aether theory had a loose control loop when believed, but now
has a strong control loop when it is doubted. That would make sense to me
if you mean that the tentative belief in aether used to loosly control how
people acted regarding aether, but the absolute doubt now tightly controls
how they act towards it. (More technically, "is part of a loose/tight
control loop".)

In contrast, I am talking about the thing itself, or as close as Peirce
will let you get to that Kantian notion. People thought that aether was a
component of tightly controlled systems, whereas it turns out to be part of
no system at all, because it does not exist.

Cutting the difference between our use of those terms: The scientific
method is, in Peirce's presentation, a community search for
long-term-stable beliefs, i.e., beliefs that can serve as part of a
*sustainable
*tight control system, in which sustaining is the result of actions
predicated upon the belief continuing to work out in the very long term.

Did that reconcile anything?

(Peirce had a very sophisticated understanding of probability and
statistics, so "in the long term" does not mean "*exactly *as predicted
every time.")

Eric P. Charles, Ph.D.
Supervisory Survey Statistician
U.S. Marine Corps