[FRIAM] Diesel OK?

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Thu Mar 29 19:03:11 EDT 2018

Owen -

I would generally recommend diesel but have a few caveats for you:

First the pros:

 1. Higher MPG
     1. higher energy density per liter of fuel
     2. higher compression engine (more efficient)
     3. leaner combustion at idle or under low load
     4. better emmisions *except* particulates
     5. Usually are coupled with a turbo (they benefit more than petrol?)
 2. Longer engine life
     1. design/construction intention?
     2. better cylinder lubrication?
 3. HIgher power/weight ratio.
 4. Longer range (see pro: 1 above)
 5. Come the Apocalypse you can burn Vegetable (used or pressed from
    myriad growing things) Oil.
 6. Come the Apocalypse you can (also) burn motor oil drained (and
    highly filtered) out of the crankcase of petrol vehicles which are
    abandoned when they can't get more fuel.

I have only owned diesel tractors and full size trucks but most of the
above probably still applies

The cons:

 1. Diesel is a bit messier/smellier (not a big deal with truck or tractor)
 2. Diesel fuel is more expensive than Petrol at the pump, that didn't
    used to be the case, I think it is based on demand-side economics
    since I think yield per barrel is higher and cost of refinement lower.
 3. Diesel pumps are very slightly less available... I occasionally pull
    in to a station without it or find only one bay with diesel...
    Pricing seems to be more consistent.  The ubiquitous use in OTR
    trucks says you will never be far from a diesel pump.
 4. Diesel maintenance and repair is higher than petrol.
     1. Air filters are more frequently changed (or cleaned)
     2. Fuel filters are more frequently changed.
     3. Oil volumes (my 5.9L Diesel engine uses 10 quarts) are greater,
        etc... but all this factors out nicely when you consider Pro:2
     4. Engine Complexity
         1. Turbo adds complexity
         2. lack of ignition system reduces complexity (a pro, not a con)
         3. Older diesels were mechanical injection, eliminating most
            electronics (not relevant to you).
 5. Cold Starting demands more (usually dual) batteries, leading to one
    more point of failure and/or expense...  a block heater with a
    battery trickle charge to plug into if you are planning to leave
    early on a cold morning is a good idea.

I seem to remember that Bruce and Ruth bought a diesel Jeep SUV and
traded it in within the year because they were having maintenance
problems associated with not driving it at highway speeds very often.
I don't know about this really since heavy equipment has an even sillier
duty cycle than their commute nature did.  Probably a design issue that
*might not* be one for the vehicles you are considering.

I get the impression that most passenger diesels shadow their heavy
equipment and truck parts with higher mpg, longer lifespans, but higher
maintenance costs...   but not in the same extreme.   I know of VW Golf
TDI owners who get as good of MPG as my tiny 2 seater Honda Insight
Hybrid (~50).

The Germans (BMW, Mercedes, VW) have a lot of experience with Diesels.

They all seem to have scandals around cheating on emissions testing (not
just VW).

My sensibilities would recommend a diesel-electric plug-in hybrid since
you probably have the cash to invest and trust it to pay back (mostly)
in operating cost and good karma.  I don't think there are any of these
outside of the concept showrooms yet though.  Almost surely not a BMW
Wagon...

- Steve