[FRIAM] Peirce's "What Pragmatism is."

Eric Charles eric.phillip.charles at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 19:34:42 EDT 2018

That is indeed fascinating!

I think, using your terms, that Peirce is only interested in coherence.
Strong coherence indicates belief whether the relevant situation arises
once a decade or several times a day. The man who doubts the ground exists
might look and poke, then decide never to get out of bed. In contrast, the
man who fully believes in the ground will interact with it thousands of
times a day. That those thousands of interactions occur "without a thought"
is testament to the coherence of the system.

(Though nothing is completely "coherent" in Peirce's world, because he
understands probability and statistics perfectly well. Sometimes people
with the strongest ground-coherence still slip and fall, or stick their
feet in a whole.)

Eric P. Charles, Ph.D.
Supervisory Survey Statistician
U.S. Marine Corps