[FRIAM] Archiving Friam conversations as editable text.

Nick Thompson nickthompson at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 30 22:32:17 EDT 2018

Dear Friammers,

So, I am now safely installed in the MIB, and now I am trying to fulfill my
promise to try to turn your excellent work concerning "What Pragmatism Is"
into an editable text.  I realize this is a project that only a mother could
love, but humor me a little bit.

So, the first method I tried, via Outlook, failed.  Outlook apparently keeps
its email messages disaggregated in something like a vast CSV file.  When
you ask for a single message, it re-aggregates the fields of the message and
presents it to you.  If you try to export a bunch of messages, it exports
them as a CSV file or as a bunch of icons.  There is no way that I can see
to open all the messages  of a thread into a single Word File for editing.
There is no way to write macros for Outlook.  So, that's the end of the
Outlook line, for me, I think.

My next thought was to work with the FRIAM archive.  I thought perhaps I
could import an entire thread from the  archive, and since, as I remember,
the archive is organized chronologically, I might have my rough editable
file that way.  I could then write a macro to delete unnecessary repetitive
stuff, and would be done.

However, I could not, following instructions on the FRIAM page, get into the
FRIAM archive at all.  If anybody has used it recently, could you get in
touch?

Thanks.

Nicholas S. Thompson