[FRIAM] da foist pictures of a black hole

Eric Smith desmith at santafe.edu
Wed Apr 10 18:49:08 EDT 2019

Indeed, Gil,

I was just on the piont of writing to the list, because I was surprised at no traffic on this stunner.

There is a photomontage I would love to have, which I think doesn’t exist yet, but now can.

Full M87 in the visible:
http://hubblesite.org/image/2391/gallery
(which I guess is about a 100-arcsecond image)

The M87 jet in the radio:
https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/0007/m87jet_hst_big.jpg
(maybe 10-20 arcsecond scale)

The 7-arcsecond close-up of the jet in radio (VLA), X-ray (Chandra), and visible (Hubble), which is mostly motivated by understanding the “knot” they label HST-1:
http://chandra.harvard.edu/photo/2001/0134/M87_scale.jpg

And now the 50-microarcsecond images of the central black hole
https://aasnova.org/2019/04/10/first-images-of-a-black-hole-from-the-event-horizon-telescope/

To see a world in a grain of sand.

So one good thing will have happened today,

Eric