[FRIAM] Everything she knows...

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 17:50:16 EDT 2019

I tend to think religion is precisely like any other form of thought, delusional at its core.  I recently read this interview of Chomsky (https://chomsky.info/20001210/) and sympathize quite a bit.  "The way you do it is by trying to do it yourself ... Nobody is going to pour truth into your brain. Its something you have to find out for yourself."  Thinking is just action, exactly like throwing a baseball or cleaning grime from a carburetor. And you will only think like another person if you go through the same or similar actions/thinking the other person went through.

As such, religion is thought.  So in the case of someone like Bill Maher who consistently isolates religion as "bad" is either familiar with that type of thought or not.  Hostility can be bred from both familiarity or ignorance.  But the hostility he (and others) show toward Islam seems to demonstrate that they haven't spent much time trying to think like a Muslim ... to steelman Islam.  And until/unless they do, I find it difficult to take their criticism seriously.  That aside, I'm a big fan of Maher when Maher talks about something he's apparently thought (deeply?) about. My fanaticism ends when he seems to talk about something he apparently hasn't given much (deep?) thought. C'est la vie.  We are all good at some things, bad at other things.

I react to most atheists this way, perhaps unfortunately.  But, then again, I react that way to everyone who is confident in their own thoughts.  E.g. La Mott's "You will worship and serve something, so like St. Bob said, you gotta choose." I doubt it ... I doubt everything about that sentiment, "worship", "serve", "some[ ]thing", the necessity of a (binary?) choice.  Everything about it screams pithy pseudo-profundity (https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/per.2176).  But, like Maher, most of the rest of that essay is fantastic and exhibits clear effort.

And it's really not a problem to turn on and off that admiration/affiliation/worship/service at will. I marvel at those who artificially unify whatever it is they attend. Growing up, the phrase "cafeteria Catholicism" was an insult. To me, it's a compliment. Parts of Catholicism are just plain stupid.  Other parts are brilliant wisdom ... just like everything else in the universe.

--
☣ uǝlƃ