[FRIAM] All hail confirmation bias!

Eric Smith desmith at santafe.edu
Fri Apr 26 04:41:25 EDT 2019

Hi Glen,

> On Apr 25, 2019, at 11:53 PM, glen∈ℂ <gepropella at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Yes!  I can't seem to find a copy of the article.  But going on your description and the figures, it looks like an excellent example of treating hierarchy as something to measure rather than impute. (The silverchair.com link didn't work, unfortunately.)
>
> Until I can find a copy, some of what you say is provocative. It seems to me that talking directly about the graph (or network, an alternative Potochnik mentions) is the more literal concept, where level and hierarchy are the more metaphorical ones. Even the concept of accretion (temporal layering) is, to me, more meaningful than level or hierarchy.  So, the question remains *what* advantage do we gain from "zooming out" and thinking in terms of hierarchy and levels that we didn't already have in terms of [a]cyclic, temporal or structural, graphs?  Is the advantage largely rhetorical and communicative, accounting for the variations in the way the audience and participants think? Or are there, eg experimental design, questions and measures we can take that are made more precise and testable in terms of level and hierarchy versus graphs?

Yes, only limited roles for this case.

I believe I am thinking of the levels as proxies for roughly sequential intervals of time.  I can't establish any strict notion of concurrency among features within a level, but in a context where I think both chemistry and accumulating structure were in transition during the era when this molecular assembly came into existence, I think of the features that don’t have dependency relations as probably having arisen in a common horizon of this transition.  If we had only RNA, it would be good to know that there was a concrete way to quantify what one was referring to, but the equivalence classes on their own might have limited weight.  When we realize, however, that the proteins are also undergoing a transition that spans remarkably qualitatively different types, that each stage in that transition is recapitulated in several different proteins, that there is a clear directionality from simple to complex in the sequence, that the multiple instances at each stage roughly align with a common equivalence class in the RNA sequence, and that in addition to the structural changes that distinguish stages within the proteins, there are also changes in the way they interact with the RNA (protein side chains in the later stages start to displace Mg++ ions as the coordinators of RNA folding, which had been the sole coordinators in the earlier stages), one gets a qualitative impression of clines, which luckily it is possible to attach to quantities in a few features.

All best,

Eric