[FRIAM] A question for tomorrow

Nick Thompson nickthompson at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 27 11:42:58 EDT 2019

Frank,

Well, that’s a little blunter than I feel comfortable with because it identifies “answering questions” with consciousness.  I like better, “Imagine a computer, however complicated you care to make it, however skilled in its execution of human behaviors in human contexts, can such a computer be conscious?”  I would assume from past conversations with you, you would say, “No.”

By the way:  Am I using the language correctly if I say that a computer is an “instantiation” of a Turing Machine?

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson

 <http://home.earthlink.net/~nickthompson/naturaldesigns/> http://home.earthlink.net/~nickthompson/naturaldesigns/