[FRIAM] A question for tomorrow

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Sat Apr 27 21:33:13 EDT 2019

Another example in different domain is Coq.

Scientists often aren't very good about reproducibility.   Recently, the psychology community has had a pound of flesh taken, but I'd argue it is a fundamental problem.   Good enough to publish isn't really that high a bar.

Marcus

On 4/27/19, 7:26 PM, "Friam on behalf of Russell Standish" <friam-bounces at redfish.com on behalf of lists at hpcoders.com.au> wrote:

    On Sun, Apr 28, 2019 at 12:52:02AM +0000, Marcus Daniels wrote:
    > Russell writes:
    >
    > < However, conversely, there appear to interesting results that indicate P=NP for random oracle machines. There is some controversy over this, though, and personally, I've never been able to follow the proofs in the area :). >
    >
    > Minimally, why is LaTeX the preferred format and not, say, Mathematica?   At least the latter makes it complete and computable.

    Convince Stephen Wolfram to open source Mathematica (or at least the
    typesetting bits of it), then there might be some chance of
    this. Otherwise, not so much.

    LaTeX got its head start by not only being superior to its
    competition, but also by being open source from the get go (unusual
    for the time). When LaTeX came out, the only thing better (at least
    according to some people) were incredibly expensive desktop publishing
    packages worth $10K or more (back when $10K was worth more than double
    that now).

    Dr Russell Standish                    Phone 0425 253119 (mobile)
    Principal, High Performance Coders
    Visiting Senior Research Fellow        hpcoder at hpcoders.com.au
    Economics, Kingston University         http://www.hpcoders.com.au