[FRIAM] A Question For Tomorrow

Nick Thompson nickthompson at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 29 12:47:41 EDT 2019

Hi David,

No, on Bennett.  Not yet.

But as I struggle with Russ’s assignment, that I sketch out a material account of the consciousness relation (the conscious-of relation?”), can I share this thought with you?

Why exactly do FRIAMMERS fascinate me?  It is because you begin with elemental worlds of great simplicity and make magic of them.  From a small number of assumptions, you make worlds of wonder.  What could be more like the emergence of consciousness then the miraculous patterns produced “unpredictably” by cellular automata.  And yet, some of you deny the material continuity of consciousness.  How could that be?!!!!  It’s as if I ran into God on the street and I said, “God, I have always wondered:  How did you do this creation thing?  And God answered, “What creation thing?”

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson

 <http://home.earthlink.net/~nickthompson/naturaldesigns/> http://home.earthlink.net/~nickthompson/naturaldesigns/