[FRIAM] description - explanation - metaphor - model

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Fri Dec 27 10:57:25 EST 2019

Glen -

Well found.   I am digging into it now.  Thanks to both you and Eric S.
for this acute but interesting/relevant bend to the thread at hand.

A fascinating twist in our "Climate Complexity Summit" in Stockholm
earlier this month (thanks Merle for instigating/organizing) was what
felt to me was an emergent awareness that the core of "Endogenous
Existential Threat" (my term)  Responsefrom a Complexity Science
standpoint is at least partly (if not centrally) the question OF morality.

Whence arises morality?   Our tribal (e.g. judeo-christian, etc)
precedent said these things came down from (the) God(esses) or possibly
"the Ancestors", and modern Sociology, Psychology, Spirituality seem to
appeal to the idea(l) that it comes from deep within us (humans).   This
(sub)thread advances the contemplation I have been trying to worm my way
into about how such a human-centric abstraction as "morality" might be
rooted in fact in our heritage as complex adaptive systems amongst
complex adaptive systems, roughly (illusorily?) decomposable into  a CAS
of CASes as it were.

Before I start rattling my dentures in all directions at once, I'll try
to read Rescher and maybe even follow some of the loose threads he might
leave exposed for tugging on.

- Steve