[FRIAM] Photos of popped balloon

Edward Angel angel at cs.unm.edu
Sat Feb 2 00:03:03 EST 2019

For two summers while I was an undergrad I worked on a crack propagation project that was using high speed photography to image crack propagation on thin seamless  18” copper cylinders. During the first summer, I made the cylinders by first making solid wax molds that I lathed to the right shape. I then electroplated copper on them before melting the wax away. The second summer I worked on the photography side which was right out of Muybridge.  The film was in a 6 foot in diameter ring. In the middle was a spinning prism at the end of a turbine which sent the light around the ring of film. The whole thing was triggered by the crack breaking a small wire. We all had to hide behind a barrier during each run as the whole assembly
was pretty delicately balanced.

Ed

Ed Angel

Founding Director, Art, Research, Technology and Science Laboratory (ARTS Lab)
Professor Emeritus of Computer Science, University of New Mexico

1017 Sierra Pinon
Santa Fe, NM 87501
505-984-0136 (home)		 	angel at cs.unm.edu <mailto:angel at cs.unm.edu>
505-453-4944 (cell) 				http://www.cs.unm.edu/~angel <http://www.cs.unm.edu/~angel>