[FRIAM] Motives - Was Abduction

Eric Charles eric.phillip.charles at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 17:05:12 EST 2019

Glen said: " I would claim motives are a higher order behavior, but NOT
(solely) at a higher level of organization.  I.e. motives consist of BOTH
low level behaviors like eyeball saccades AND high level behaviors like how
one feels about another person." And then a bit later Glen complained
(rightly) that no one had followed up on his examples. I will attempt to
fill that gap!

I suspect the first issue is here is what we call "higher level."
Sometimes, when people reference "higher level behavior", they are
envisioning something like a "ladder of life" with simpler beings lower
down and more complex beings higher up. In that context, something like a
saccade is low on the scale, because many "lower beings" do it, and
throwing a baseball might be higher on the scale, because only a few
non-human species are capable of such a thing. Based on how the above quote
is phrased,  I believe that is what Glen very-understandably thinks Nick is
be talking about.  However, Nick is invoking something else entirely,
something like "levels of analysis" talk, in which meaningful "higher"
things exist in *the relations between* lower-level things.

The most common context in which people are exposed to this is in biology
class, where we are told that at some level there are cells, and that many
cells of similar type make tissue, tissue combines into organs, organs into
organ systems, and systems into organisms. In some obvious sense, cells
"make up" organs, but also one would not really come to understand organs
by virtue of individually examining cells. There is something
"higher-level" going on, something about *the organization* of the cells
that we consider important, and worth talking about and studying in its own
right, which is why organ-talk and organ-level science are things.

When Nick says that " Motives ARE behavior.  Just at a higher level of
organization.", he means "higher level" in that sense. We see that someone
is motivated towards a certain goal when we witness them varying their
behavior across circumstances in order to achieve that goal. If we want to
measure how motivated someone is, we change the circumstances so that they
are no longer directed at (what we assume to be) their goal, and then
measure the strength of their effort to "return to course." That line of
thought can be elaborated extensively, with other examples brought in from
both scientific efforts and mundane life, and what you end up with is the
conclusion that: Motives are an identifiable type of pattern that can exist
between behavior and circumstances, specifically a pattern in which
behavior changes such that the acts in question continue to be directed
towards producing a particular outcome.

Let us say that saccades (Glen's example) are relatively random (within a
certain range of eye rotation), but that we notice Glen's saccades occur
slightly more often towards the location of an attractive woman located 5
degrees to the right of and 5 degrees up from the person he is talking to.
>From this, we may suspect Glen is motivated to look at the woman, but we
must admit is quite possible that his eyes always saccade in that fashion,
as we have never measured Glen's saccades before. Or maybe the bias is
unusual, but is explained by an unrelated factor, such a slightly lighter
bulb illuminating that part of the background. All fine and good, a
hypothesis, but no way to test it. However, suppose that the woman starts
moves around the room, and we notice that Glen's saccades, while still
containing a fair amount of randomness, consistently bias towards the
direction of the woman, wherever she happens to be. And let us also assume
that Glen's position shifts in a wide variety of ways throughout the
conversation, with the only notable consistency being that they position
his head such that it reduces the size of the saccades necessary to bring
the woman closer to the periphery of his vision. We might, from that,
conclude/abduct/declare/assert that Glen "is motivated" to look at the
woman. Let's say that Glen likes red heads in low cut dresses, and when
this particular red-head--in-a-low-cut-dress leaves the room, the described
pattern falls apart for a few minutes, but then re-appears, directed
towards an auburn-haired woman with a
slightly-less-but-still-distinctly-low-cut dress. We have become firmer in
our conclusion/abduction about Glen's motives.

(Note that whether or not saccades work that way isn't the issue, the issue
is that if they DID work that way, we would likely agree on the conclusion
made.)

Note that as far as the scientific assessment of motivation is concerned
"asking Glen" need never comes into it! What Glen self-reports his motives
to be isn't relevant. Glen's self-report can understood, *at best*, as an
effort to describe the higher-order patterning of his own behavior in
exactly same way we have been describing it, i.e., in verbally
"illuminating" what the variations in his behavior are directed at. But
that is at best. Depending on who he is around, Glen almost certainly has
an even-higher-order patterning of behavior designed to misrepresent his
actual motivation in the course of a conversation, "No, of course not
honey! Who is this asshole anyway? I've been shifting around because my hip
has been acting up, that's all." And Glen would likely engage that higher
system whether or not he had any awareness that doing so was deceptive,
because our social-interaction systems are very strongly entrenched.

Eric P. Charles, Ph.D.
Supervisory Survey Statistician
U.S. Marine Corps
<echarles at american.edu>