[FRIAM] Motives - Was Abduction

Eric Charles eric.phillip.charles at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 21:12:33 EST 2019

Glen,
Thanks for the clarification. I intentionally said  Nick was invoking
*something
like "levels of analysis" talk, *because I thought I recalled Nick telling
me at some point that he didn't like that way of thinking, and I'm
surprised he hasn't disavowed me more completely on it. All metaphors are
imperfect, and, acknowledging that, I still like that way of talking a lot.
While you are quite right that tissue isn't literally JUST an arrangement
of cells, it *is *pretty fair to say tissue is an bunch of cells
arranged-in-a-structured-fashion and interconnected by various
inter-cellular structures.... organs are a bunch of tissues
arranged-in-a-structured-fashion and interconnected by various inter-tissue
structures, etc.

At any rate... trying to follow your lead, and translate your preferred
sentence structure to be more like what (I assert) Nick is thinking:

Motives ARE a particular type of pattern in a behavior-by-environment
matrix.

As a "point of view" based Realism, which Nick has been trying to
emphasize, it is true that there are many ways the behavior-by-environment
matrix can be constructed and arranged. Some of those ways will reveal the
relevant pattern in some instances, others will not. The particular pattern
is one in which the behavior vary across circumstances so as to stay
directed towards the production of a particular outcome. This sounds very
similar to "One of the definitions of "heterarchy" is that the components
can be organized in multiple ways" but if I understood the prior discussion
of "heterarchy", I take it that concept is about a flexibility in
control/leadership, whereas no control is implied here (control being a
different pattern in a different matrix). The cause of the pattern is a
different matter entirely from the existence of the pattern - which is
expressly part of the point of Nick's way of approaching it, i.e.,that a
"motive" must be identifiable independent of a particular cause.

Eric P. Charles, Ph.D.
Supervisory Survey Statistician
U.S. Marine Corps
<echarles at american.edu>