[FRIAM] Few of you ...

Nick Thompson nickthompson at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 14 23:53:17 EST 2019

, I imagine, are old enough to remember this:

"The Navy is a master plan designed by geniuses for execution by idiots. If
you are not an idiot, but find yourself in the Navy, you can only operate
well by pretending to be one. All the shortcuts and economies and
common-sense changes that your native intelligence suggests to you are
mistakes. Learn to quash them. Constantly ask yourself, "How would I do this
if I were a fool?" Throttle down your mind to a crawl. Then you will never
go wrong."
― Herman Wouk, The Caine Mutiny
<https://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/1059565>

It seems right that the computer was invented by a democratic society after
the largest successful naval campaign in the history of the universe. The
navy was a giant algorithm.   Computers are the conscripted sailors of our
generation.

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson