[FRIAM] Few of you ...

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Tue Jan 15 12:29:17 EST 2019

*"any military must operate on algorithms" *(Nick)

Not really true. and there is a huge spectrum of "algorithm-ness" as a
function of military branch, activity, rank, etc.
A navy vessel is a machine and operates on algorithms. Humans within
that machine must be constrained to be as machine-like and algorithm
governed as possible else the underlying machine falters. Same this is
true of the quasi-military astronauts in the space station.
In the army, soldiers are trained in principles until they become second
nature and their subsequent behavior is, if successful, decidedly non-
algorithmic (instead it is complex / emergent). "Plans are always the
first casualty of war." Plans = algorithms. Read General McChrystal's
book, *Team of Teams*, to get what I am saying.
A fighter pilot 'practices algorithmically' but does not fight that way.
Commercial pilots fly algorithmically — is what makes the job so damn
boring — but Schulenberger (tenth anniversary today) did not land in the
Hudson according to some algorithm.
BTW, software developers are supposed to ply their trade rationally
(i.e. algorithmically) but David Parnas once wrote an excellent paper,
"The Rational Design Process: how and why to fake it," that put the lie
to the ideal.
davew

Links:

  1. https://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/1059565