[FRIAM] 1. Is the Equal Sign Overrated? Mathematicians Hash It Out | WIRED (Tom Johnson)

Jon Zingale jonzingale at gmail.com
Mon Oct 14 13:31:38 EDT 2019

Thanks Tom.

It is exciting to see topos theory finding a place in the sun.
When I was participating in Dan Freed's TQFT seminars at
the University of Texas, we worked through one of Jacob's papers.
Despite the seemingly all-pervasive mistrust of category theory
(let alone topos theory), these seminars highlighted how this
wondrous branch of mathematics can elucidate the importance
of considering structural equivalence when there cannot be
a notion of strict equality.