[FRIAM] YIKES!: Coronavirus New Mexico numbers.xlsx

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Thu Apr 2 20:51:24 EDT 2020

Liminal --> use the analogy Schrodinger's cat, until the box is opened, the cat is both alive and dead and neither alive nor dead, it is betwixt and between. That is a kind of binary liminality. Generalize from that to N-ary space.

von Gennep was talking about rights of passage — of which few of us have really experienced except in pale imitations. Two examples: from childhood to adulthood, with rites and rituals that separate you from your identify as a child, followed by a liminal period for the duration of the ritual, then reincorporation with new clothes new privileges, new responsibilities as an adult. Second, a secular person is stripped naked, cleansed, (separation) then engages in guided prayer and other purification rituals (liminal) then dressed in sacred clothing as a priest.

In Tibetan Buddhism, you die and are in Bardo. If you receive proper guidance, your spirit can avoid being reincarnated and reborn. Bardo is liminal between past life and future life (if you fail to accept the Light.")

In Dante's Divine Comedy, Purgatorio is a kind of liminal period where each of your sins (PPPPPPP written on your forehead) are removed one at a time as you ascend the peak.

davew