[FRIAM] anthropological observations

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 13:59:36 EDT 2020

Hm. The only reason it's wrong to harness people is because there's no credible alternative. If we had a well-connected safety net so that a harnessed person could doff one harness, survive without a harness for awhile, then don a different harness, then harnessing would be a good thing.

Its not the harnessing that's bad, it's the lack of inter-harness or non-harnessed options that's bad.

And the only reason I feel this point tacitly is in trying to "describe" the Tempus Dictum (TDI) harness in a coherent way. Several people have flowed through my tiny business. But *most* of those people wander elsewhere because they *want* a harness. And TDI's either doesn't make sense to them ... or it's really just a loosely tied rope that falls off all the time, merely hinting at a direction one might go, but never really canalizing anyone's behavior.

Said another way, there is a "tyranny of choice" (or "paradox of choice"). Too much freedom limits one's freedom. So, e.g., when the Rotary guys adopted the purpose to eradicate polio, one might say they were/are *fascist* in their common purpose. But Eco's got 14 points for a reason, because no single attribute really defines the quality.

--
☣ uǝlƃ