[FRIAM] 75% deportees to Guatemala with COVID-19

Tom Johnson tom at jtjohnson.com
Wed Apr 15 19:37:17 EDT 2020

Sorry.  Here's the Google translate:

Guatemala: 75% of a flight of deportees tested positive for coronavirus

This Tuesday, April 14, the Guatemalan Minister of Health, Hugo Monroy,
assured a group of journalists that between 50 and 75 percent of the people
deported from the United States had tested positive for the coronavirus
test. The United States, the minister complained, ignored the request to
return people with medical certificates.
El Faro / AFP
Tuesday, april 14, 2020

   -
   ‑‑‑‑
   -
   -
   -
   -
   -
   -
   -

"There are flights in which fellow citizens come with a fever, so they put
them on planes. Here we evaluate them and we test them. This is how many of
them have tested positive (with coronaviruses). How many? More than 75% of
one of the flights was positive, "says Hugo Monroy, the Guatemalan Minister
of Health in statements to the press this Tuesday, April 14. Is that why
the number has increased so much? Asks a reporter. I can say yes, replies
Minister Monroy. According to this official, between 50 and 75 percent of
returnees have tested positive for coronavirus.

As of April 14, Guatemala officially reports 167 infections and five deaths.
 It is not clear if the people the Health Minister talks about are added to
the government statistics, since the first flights with returnees, after
the interruption for Easter, landed yesterday, Monday, April 13. One of
them with 76 people and the other with 106, according to information from
the AFP agency with data from the Guatemalan Migration Institute.

For security reasons and for not stigmatizing, said Minister Monroy, it was
that he did not give details about the flight in which 75% of the people
were positive.

On the first flight, with 76 Guatemalans, she arrived from Brownsville,
Texas (southern United States), while on the second, 106 Guatemalans,
including minors, arrived from El Paso, Texas, Alejandra Mena, spokeswoman
for the Guatemalan Institute, told reporters. of Migration.

With these two, the flights of Guatemalans deported from the United States
resumed, which were suspended for several days due to the Easter
celebrations and due to restrictive measures by the local government to
contain the spread of the coronavirus.

More than a week ago, Guatemala had asked Washington to increase health
controls on deportees, after three expelled from that country tested
positive for COVID-10. The spokesperson for the Guatemalan Migration
Institute explained that Guatemalans will remain in quarantine in a
temporary shelter installed at the La Aurora international airport in the
capital of this country.

Meanwhile, Guatemalan Foreign Minister Pedro Brolo assures that the United
States will continue to send flights of deportees, after indicating that
the migration of Guatemalans to the north was reduced by 60% due to the
coronavirus.

The head of United States diplomacy, Mike Pompeo, announced this Monday,
April 13, that Washington intends to continue with the economic aid plan
for El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras highlighting the efforts made by
the three countries to reduce irregular migration to the North.

Last June, the United States said it would make the delivery of aid to
these countries conditional on concrete actions to reduce the number of
migrants arriving at its border.

Deportations of Guatemalans from the United States fell 13.4% in the first
quarter of the year, compared to the same period in 2019.

Tom Johnson - tom at jtjohnson.com
Institute for Analytic Journalism   --     Santa Fe, NM USA
505.577.6482(c)                                    505.473.9646(h)
*NM Foundation for Open Government* <http://nmfog.org>
*Check out It's The People's Data
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Its-The-Peoples-Data/1599854626919671>*