[FRIAM] anthropological observations

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Fri Apr 17 18:08:24 EDT 2020

< This conversation is reminding me of 538's constant reiteration that they actually accurately predicted Hillary's election in  2016.  >

Possibly of interest..

https://journals.jps.jp/doi/full/10.7566/JPSJ.88.061009

From: Friam <friam-bounces at redfish.com> on behalf of "thompnickson2 at gmail.com" <thompnickson2 at gmail.com>
Date: Friday, April 17, 2020 at 2:59 PM
To: 'The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group' <friam at redfish.com>
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] anthropological observations

Hi, everybody,

This is Cranky-Nick, talking.

This conversation is reminding me of 538's constant reiteration that they actually accurately predicted Hillary's election in  2016.  It's just that the electoral college didn't play along.  If expert X tells me that the expected value of variable A is K, then, when it's all over and the data are in, and A did not equal K, I expect that expert to admit that what he expected did not happen.  Only after that confession has been made, should a conversation begin about whether the expert’s prediction process was faulted or not.  It seems to me that the shaded area is part of that second conversation.

But all of that is moot because I think IHME’s optimistic predictions have largely panned out.  New York sent ventilators of Maryland yesterday!!!!  I certainly would never have expected that, but I think it follows from IHME’s optimistic predictions.   The were right to predict “K”, and I was wrong to doubt them.

Can I apologize for being cranky today.  I realize I am riding for a fall.  Thompson’s First Law: He  falls hardest who falls from his highest horse.

But while I am being cranky, let me make a huge confession.  I must be a determinist at heart because I instinctively believe that to say an event is random is to confess one’s ignorance, one’s laziness, or both.  >>Pause for moaning, eye-rolling, and temple-pressing by all quantum-enthusiasts on the list.<<  I am pretty sure that what I just said contradicts my Peirce-worship, but there it is!  So when 538 says, our model was wonderful, we just got unlucky, The Leetle Voice In My Head, that voice that my behaviorism denies me, says back, “No, Son; you just didn’t work hard enough.”

Nick

Nicholas Thompson

ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com

https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/