[FRIAM] anthropological observations

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 18:44:51 EDT 2020

Again, though, you seem to be allowing your metaphor to run away with you. When someone who does quantitative modeling says "expected value", they do NOT mean what the layperson means when they say "I expect X". We can pick apart your statement and accuse you of an ambiguity fallacy if we want.

Your first use of "expected value" relies on the jargonal definition. Then you switcheroo on us and your 2nd use of "I expect that" relies on the vernacular concept. Up to this point, we can give you the benefit of the doubt. We all munge things a bit when talking/thinking. But *then*, on your 3rd use of "what he expected", you explicitly switched the meaning from jargon to vernacular.

I don't think you do this on purpose. (If you do, I laud you as a fellow troll! >8^) I think it's  an artifact of your being a "metaphorical thinker", whatever that means.

FWIW, I only had to pull a little on the Sabine Hossenfelder thread to find that she tweeted this, as well:

Embracing the Uncertainties
While the unknowns about coronavirus abound, a new study finds we ‘can handle the truth.’
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/07/science/coronavirus-uncertainty-scientific-trust.html?smid=tw-share

The effects of communicating uncertainty on public trust in facts and numbers
https://www.pnas.org/content/117/14/7672.abstract

If they're right, then the right-leaning local media might band together with the clickbaity national media and give it to us straight ... or they might simply skew their "expected value" reporting to continue serving their politics. Pfft.

--
☣ uǝlƃ