[FRIAM] anthropological observations

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sat Apr 18 09:14:29 EDT 2020

Glen -

Your diatribe reminds me of the way I used to frame my (rare) pitches in
DC back during my time working in the "Decision Support Systems"
division at  LANL.   I started out with "I'm here to help you NOT make a
decision".   This appalled them, becuase "by golly, by gosh, they were
Decision Makers".   About that time, in fact, the "Decider in Chief" was
coined by his own claim: "I am the Decider!".

My point was that they were, by the nature of their roles, and the
self-selection of choosing to work in those roles *decisive people*.
They were men and women of *action*!  But to act (intentionally) they
had to Decide! and to Decide!  they had to have data and facts and
models to back up their decision.  But frankly as often as not, I saw
them use our work to *justify* the decision they had already made or
were leaning heavily toward, *apparently* based on larger strategic
biases.   Often these "larger strategic biases" are what you and I would
call "political agendas".   The military folks were less "political" in
the usual sense, but they seemed to have *much* larger biases (or maybe
the consequences of their decisions were MUCH more acute and direct?).

Nobody seemed to truly be interested in "making a better decision" and
as a developer of such tools, I was acutely aware of the risk that some
tool I helped deliver them *might* help them make a *bad decision* with
the wrong perspective/filter/lens on the facts available.   Maybe it was
my own sense of (wanting to avoid) responsibility that had me judging
that they "weren't really using our tools to inform or make their
decision, but rather using it to justify the one they already were set
to make")

Maybe I am Pollyanna, but the work SimTable is doing (and perhaps many
others in this space) is being used by people "closer to the ground".
Perhaps my problem at LANL was that our "customers" were
Agency/Department program managers and their high-level decision makers
(e.g. Cabinet-level or at least their staff).

As for your gut-level (and often well articulated) mistrust of
"metaphorical thinking",  you may conflate a belief (such as mine) that
language is metaphorical at it's base with being a "metaphorical
thinker".    Metaphor gets a bad rap/rep perhaps because of the
"metaphorical license" often taken in creative arts (albeit for a
different and possibly higher purpose).

I know we've argued this back and forth (what... like tossing a ball...
or fencing with swords?) here and offline (off line?  what "line"?), so
we might be beating a dead horse (what?  there is no horse, there is no
whip, no stick, no beating going on!).  I will agree that substituting a
clever or familiar metaphor for more strict analysis is always risky,
and if what you mean by "metaphorical thinking" is retreating to trite
and over-used metaphors when something much tighter is called for, then
I agree with your dismissal (dismiss?  Can an argument be dismissed like
an unruly subordinate?)

Life is like a Simile,

 - Steve