[FRIAM] whackadoodles go mainstream!

David Eric Smith desmith at santafe.edu
Mon Apr 20 20:32:55 EDT 2020

This was my read, too, Roger, exactly.  He is willing to make a call that he doesn’t think protein designers are sophisticated enough to solve that complicated a problem that cleanly, yet he thinks it is not improbable in large, diverse-population evolutionary dynamics.

I have a friend who once made the observation “terrorists seem to be very stupid.  Why did it not occur to them before the early 2000s, when the fancy avenues had been cut off, that they could drive rented trucks into crowds and create a big disruption that way.”  I don’t credit this friend with a profound insight, but to me this is indeed a thermodynamic argument.

In ordinary thermodynamics, we don’t minimize an internal energy, but a free energy, which is an internal energy most-likely to be found by a sampling process with a lot of randomness.  I have assumed the way to think of malicious-actor bioterrorism is something like that.  Very very one-in-the-world-genius best practice would be very hard to reproduce, if you were also working under cover, with potentially murderous management, maybe on a limited budget, in a hurry, etc.  So one expects that a lot of what is done will be a trade-off between what would work very effectively, and what is off-the-shelf manageable in the presence of other limitations. How to compute the relevant sampling processes, and the relevant entropy concept, is something I would enjoy getting some clarity on somehow.

Eric