[FRIAM] narcissism

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 19:22:13 EDT 2020

More on 2 types:

Vulnerable and Grandiose Narcissism Are Differentially Associated With Ability and Trait Emotional Intelligence
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpsyg.2018.01606/full

Vulnerable Vs Grandiose Narcissism: Which Is More Harmful?
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-mysteries-love/201906/vulnerable-vs-grandiose-narcissism-which-is-more-harmful

The first article is more credible, I suppose. It seems to my incompetent eye to describe 2 different *subclinical* types. But the second article is more provocative to me because it talks about an *oscillation* in clinical (as opposed to subclinical) NPD, which kindasorta echoes what I tried to say about modes and rates.

But what's most interesting, I guess, is that Dunning-Kruger might be at play. Where a narcissist might be incompetent, she might over-estimate her skills (at emotional intelligence as well as whatever else) [†]. The distinction between "trait EI" and "ability EI" is lost on me, however. So I can't quite parse the ending statements of the first paper. I can definitely parse the part about it being an online survey. 8^)

[†] We might infer that Trump's narcissism is NOT the problem. It's his sheer incompetence that's the problem. So all this yapping about him being a narcissist might be, at best, wasted breath and, at worst, a red herring distracting from the real problem.

--
☣ uǝlƃ