[FRIAM] Warring Darwinians for Glen, Steve

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Thu Apr 30 15:41:35 EDT 2020

Two contributions, hopefully, to this conversation — first to something Nick said, then Glen.

Nick said: "It was me that floated the thought that “all thinking is metaphorical”. (I was trying to draw Dave West in on my side of the argument, at the time.)" I remember the conversation — at St. John's — quite a while back.  I also remember that the statement was quickly qualified. (And Nick, you should be ashamed of having uttered such a universal statement seeing as the speed with which you chastise others, especially me, for doing the same.)

Not all thinking is metaphorical. A major exception is thinking about things of which we know enough to speak in formalisms: mathematical expressions, logical statements, formulas ala any of the hard sciences, etc. No metaphor there. (Nick will object saying that even those things express models and all models are metaphors, but ignore him.)

Metaphors are an essential (so says Quine) device for extending our knowledge - for attempts to understand that which is not reducible to formal expressions. In science this is at the 'fringe,"with the fringe being a moving target.

A metaphor, in this case is just a working hypothesis: can we think about, come to understand, this unknown thing in terms of something we already understand, know about? The metaphor provides a framework that we can use to confirm or refute the hypothesis. If confirmed, we gain the ability to think formally about the new thing and the fringe of science moves outward.

Now we can pay attention to Nick again and accept the fact that some models are indeed metaphors, but other models are formalisms. It matters not, that a formal model is inaccurate because we are never going to measure the coast of Portugal in microns and therefore discover that it is near infinitely long instead of being 1793 Km.  We think in practicial terms and think formally, not metaphorically.

 Towards the hard problem of consciousness. On The Origin of Objects by Brian Cantwell Smith can provide some solid background ideas, especially with regard how we get to the general from the particular. Glen parallels Smith's insights in what he presented - including the Object ---> Class issue.

I would propose that the hard problem of consciousness is the lack of any known thing that might be used as a metaphor to understand the unknown thing, consciousness.

We might (Nick excepted) agree that consciousness is a thing. We might (including Nick) agree that we do not know / understand what that thing is.

But what other thing in our experience "feels" sufficiently like consciousness that we can say, "Oh, consciousness is like _____________.  If we could fill in the blank we would have a metaphor (perhaps a model) to think with.

We cannot use another (perhaps our internal awareness of being conscious) instance of consciousness because we do not know/understand it either.

If we had a computer that was incontrovertibly conscious, then maybe.

We certainly have no formalism we can use to think about and come to understand consciousness.

Steve likes to sign off with "mumble"  I'll stop with

babble