[FRIAM] ethnography and information systems

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Sat Aug 8 13:24:11 EDT 2020

McWhorter's book The Language Hoax,

https://www.amazon.com/Language-Hoax-John-H-McWhorter/dp/0190468890/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2BA5K37IW5TDI&dchild=1&keywords=the+language+hoax+why+the+world+looks+the+same+in+any+language&qid=1596907103&sprefix=the+language+hoax%2Caps%2C293&sr=8-1

clearly outlines the case against Whorf-Sapir. The problem — it demolishes a straw man not what Whorf-Sapir actually claimed. Interestingly, McWhorter often uses precisely what Whorf claimed in his arguments against Whorf. When I read the book I spent equal amounts of time laughing and being enraged.

davew