[FRIAM] Face shields?[sigh yes yet another covid topic

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 15:28:38 EDT 2020

Gill,

Here is my take.  If you check the DHS master list, you will find that the state of play with respect to the transmission of the virus by teensy bits of spit and by big globs.  Masks do pretty well to keep big globs out of your nose and mouth, but provide no protection for eyes.  Indeed, if you are still a person who absent-mindedly moves your hand from mask to eyes, for some reason, they provide little protection at all – to you, although they still are a powerfull public health device.  Face shields not only protect your eyes, they keep you hands away from your face, so protect you, and direct your breath downward on to your self, and so protect others against big globs.  With teensy bits, all of this is less sure.  But there is a lot of doubt about how many teensy bits you need to get at once to catch the disease, so anything that thins out the teensy bits is probably a good thing.

NIck

Nicholas Thompson

ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com <mailto:ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com>

https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/