[FRIAM] (no subject)

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 16:52:48 EDT 2020

Dear Steve,

Thanks for this response;  it is just the sort of challenge I need to push
me along in my thinking.  You write:

Can you (or anyone else?) refute or frame my assertion about the *epi*
prefix?

Please recall to mind the two diagrams that I have posted, the first a
picture of the toy I am calling the Epiphenomenator and the second a diagram
of  the relations in one (admittedly hypothetical) ethological control
system.

Here, after having been cheerfully mauled by you-all for a week or so, I
offer the present state of my understanding:  To be a thing, is to have an
infinity of properties, some of interest, some incidental to our interest.
Now, as you rightly suppose, the whole ball game is how some properties get
to be "of interest" while others are "merely incidental".   After all, we
humans have as many interests as things have properties.  Which category a
property falls into requires the identification of a point of view to frame
our categorization.  So, for good or ill, I am defining here an
epiphenomenal property as an incidental property that accompanies a property
of interest.  I have had so much pushback on my use of "epiphenomenal", I
shall try not to use much here,  and rather focus on the frames that make
some properties "of interest" and others "incidental".

Now one manner in which a property can become of interest is that it pleases
us, as humans.  Color is of interest to us trichromats, and so, for us as
trichromats, size is incidental.  Let's call this frame of reference,
"aesthetic".   But we could also be interested in a causal frame of
reference.  From that point of view, the size of the spheres is of interest,
because their size determines which spheres end up where.  The point of the
device is to demonstrate the possibility that a property I care about can
have little to do with getting the result I like.

You may say, at this point, "I see your argument, but 'little to do' is way
overstated."  I agree.  The epiphenomenator is, of course, a device designed
to demonstrate a point and the fact that some of the spheres are of
different colors and that each size has a characteristic color has
everything to do with the color and size of the spheres.  But that
observation requires a still larger and more inclusive frame of reference,
the frame of reference of a demonstrator.

The second diagram seeks to bring this insight to bear on the ethological
observation that the motivations of animals are rarely sufficient to produce
the outcomes for which those motivations are selected. They require the
linkage of properties.   The big swooshy arrows suggest different frames,
the frame of motivation in which the cooling of the dove's belly is of
interest and the warming of the egg is incidental, and the frame of natural
selection, in which the warming of the egg is of interest and the cooling of
the belly is incidental.  I am not sure of the last attribution because, of
course, natural selection would deal harshly with any dove that did not
desire to cool its belly.  I have, therefore, to give some thought to how I
characterize frames that are nested within other frames.

Thanks for helping me with this.

Nick

Nicholas Thompson

ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com <mailto:ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com>