[FRIAM] viral dose ∝ symptom severity

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Wed Aug 19 14:17:20 EDT 2020

Nick and all,

I know my employment situation has been raised on the list and at vFRIAM. I know that several of you have expressed a willingness to explore alternatives. I really, really, appreciate it.

Unfortunately for me, I seem to be unemployable in my former profession. I am not technical enough to get past HR, I do have a reputation as a bit of extreme contrarian when it comes to Software Engineering, Scrum (really hate it), Lean, and all but the XP form of Agile. Plus, I am old. (I had a job offer at Spotify, until the team I was to work with — 3 women and one man, all in early to mid-twenties — met me in a video interview. You could see the look on their faces and know it was all over in less than ten seconds.)

I attached the resume to illustrate the problem. I would have been perfect at the job Frank recommended and have made it to a video interview, but will be surprised, from correspondence with them, if it goes further.

I keep trying, and your well wishes are truly appreciated.

davew