[FRIAM] Curmudgeons Unite!

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Thu Aug 20 15:38:57 EDT 2020

Jon -

Well said.  I often look at our collective (in different chunkings) in
terms of opportunities lost.   Evolution is intrinsically wasteful by
some measure, so it does not surprise me that from a
judgemental/discriminating/big-picture/hindsight perspective *virtually
everything that happens in human endeavor* seems incredibly wasteful.
I spend (nearly) half of my energy boggled by this apprehension and
(nearly) the other half trying to refactor my perspectives of these
things so that they *don't* seem wasteful/squandered.   Looking for
"method in the madness" and then working the meta-problem of pruning a
variety of obviously delusional overfits to the data at hand.    I
recognize that many/most/all of my throwdowns/gurgitations here are lame
projections of the latter half.  <groan>

I especially appreciate the link to the PDF text of your Borges
reference.  I can rarely put my hands on the original paper texts I read
some of these things in due to multiple hashings of combining libraries,
owning a bookstore, living with a bibliovore ( voracious book/collage
artist), shelving/reshelving/boxing/storing elaborate excesses, etc.
Here is someone else who has taken a whack at (or reflection on) one
aspect of the problem: Bibliophilia Obscura.
<http://makifat.blogspot.com/>

This particular Borges short reminds me particularly of Vonnegut and
perhaps Harrison Bergeron
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrison_Bergeron>, but then I suspect
Vonnegut was significantly influenced by Borges' abstractions. <...
tangent snipped ...>

Oh yeh, and you "can't grep paper" (even if my fragmented associative
memory also often fails to find the right search terms: e.g.
Franklin:faction).

On the topic of "wasteful decadence", I finished watching AlphaGo and
YouTube rolled me into the PBS documentary The Amazon Empire which I
suspect implicates us *all* in one way or another. <... yet another
tangent snipped... >

Carry on!

 - Steve