[FRIAM] Myth of the Given

Eric Charles eric.phillip.charles at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 21:25:15 EDT 2020

---You can't take "as if P" seriously without taking P seriously.---

It's not what I'm taking seriously, though, right? I don't doubt that the
authors in question take textual interpretation seriously (and come from a
tradition of taking textual interpretation seriously). I also don't doubt
that the methods they developed in that context can provide insights in
other contexts. But that doesn't make those other contexts into texts.

(See also how today's discussion about applying poker to understand
political and business situations doesn't mean those situations *are*
poker.)
<echarles at american.edu>