[FRIAM] Curmudgeons Unite!

glen∉ℂ gepropella at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 13:08:15 EDT 2020

As I understand it, the attack was a successful use of "active measures". The objective was to find *extant* rifts in US society and exploit them. This resulted in a sophisticated data science driven attack on platforms via technology like Facebook. There are 2 layers to it: 1) the primary objective is to sow distrust in US institutions (including voting) and "career politicians" and 2) secondarily sow chaos simply to reduce the efficiency of US institutions (including the state department's attempts at diplomacy and our military's attempts at whatever it is they do).

As the exploits are ongoing, any digital voting *security* must address this type of exploit, either directly or dovetailed with other mitigating efforts.