[FRIAM] Rio En Medio & Caja del Rio Fires

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Mon Aug 24 16:38:58 EDT 2020

I don't know much myself..   there is a local (pilot?) who is tracking
things (on the new Caja fire) closely (because the fire is close to the
airport?) and is apparently flying over right now:

    https://twitter.com/Bewickwren/status/1297981293624463360

Stephen has a "crew" of students photographing the Medio fire and there
are a few reports coming through twitter on

    https://twitter.com/hashtag/MedioFire?src=hashtag_click

and InciWeb has *this* information.

    https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/7031/

Google just started publishing KML for MODIS (and other satellite imaging)

    https://fsapps.nwcg.gov/googleearth.php?sensor=modis&extent=conus

I've been trying to photograph (to contribute above) plumes from *my*
side of the valley... here IN the valley and up the Los Alamos Hill
perspective but the smoke is so pervasive that I really haven't been
able to identify a "plume" from Rio en Medio in days.   My ISP (CNSP) is
a tight-beam from Tesuque Peak and I understand from them that they are
running on generator power there, so I'm (vaguely) expecting to lose
internet "soon"...

I get the feeling that the Pacheco burn scar from years ago has provided
a modest fire-break.

Any evacuations from direct fire-threat would obviously be most likely
in the Tesuque hills area, though *smoke* might lead folks to want to
evacuate otherwise.  I drove into Pojoaque yesterday and the smoke was
pretty harsh there (just downhill/down-watershed from the fire)... it
sounds like SFe is getting it too... with the Caja (much smaller, less
fuel) on the opposite side of town, it might mean that shifting winds
just change which smoke you get?

Los Alamos is "up above" most of the smoke from my perspective...

Stephen can probably vouch better for how well SFe's emergency alert
system works... but here is their link ifyou don't have it:

    https://www.santafenm.gov/alertsantafe
<https://www.santafenm.gov/alertsantafe>

I hope this is somehow helpful...

- Steve