[FRIAM] what is Gertrude thinking?

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sun Aug 30 10:21:30 EDT 2020

On 8/30/20 6:55 AM, Roger Critchlow wrote:
> What I want to know is where are the Elon Musk copycats hiding?  I
> can't walk down the street without bumping into at least one idiot who
> wants to be the next Donald Trump.  Shoot an african american, abuse
> an immigrant, or beat a woman to death, and there's a line of people
> out the door who want a piece of that action.  Why can't we all just
> build space ships, electric cars, and neural links?

Bezos and Branson are somewhat "weak" copycats, not that billions of
dollars suggests "weakness" in all domains.

Being a bully (re Trump) is a lot easier than knuckling down and doing
the wide range of "hard work" implied my Elon Musk's success(es).   I
don't know quite what his composition is...  he seems like more of a
superb conductor and perhaps composer than anything.   He obviously
isn't working out all the details in each of these areas,  he simply has
the vision that "they *should* come to be" and somewhere back down the
line (iteratively) he applied a certain kind of gumption to get from
Step A to Step B to ... Step triple-Zed.   Leveraging or "Chimneying" up
the cracks in the technical/business landscape to amass enough wealth
(Is $1M enough to launch these kinds of efforts?  $1B?  $10B?)

We had a vFriam discussion a while back that generally suggested that
$Billonaires are by definition A$$holes, because (my twist) they control
thousands of lives with that wealth, and that kind of power over others
can never be "clean".

And yet we applaud Tony $tark <ahem  Elon Mu$k) while being sure that
Donald Chump is (much) worse for whatever wealth he actually held before
becoming the Oligarch in Chief.   And look askance at Bezos and Gates
and all of that Ilk.   I have known several people who were in Steve
Jobs' inner circle, at least for a while, and they all agreed that being
an A$$hole helped him get rich and being rich helped him be a bigger
A$$hole, yet the style and competence he brought to the role made him
semi-forgiveable?

It's tricky, no?

- Steve