[FRIAM] New ways of understanding the world

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 12:15:57 EST 2020

“the ambiguity in the word "logic" that Nick often glosses over”

Ok, let’s put this to rest, once and for all.  I am going to try to steelman a position here that we can agree on

I stipulate that there are many logics.  Certainly as many logics as there are maths.  So, what is true of all “logics”?   A logic is a proposed set of principles of right thinking. Thinking is “right” when it leads to expectations that prove out in the long run.  What thinking is “right” depends on what one  is thinking about.  Some logic’s are more basic, more universal than others.  In the very long run, we may hope to discover and agree upon fundamental principles underlying all logics, a logic of logics, if you ill. But for the foreseeable future what argument is logical will depend on what we are talking about.

Now I realize, Glen, that you  are going to disagree with the aspiration implicit in the above passage.  But other than my desire for convergence, have I got it right?

Nick

Nicholas Thompson

ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com

https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/