[FRIAM] How Prestige Journals Remain Elite, Exclusive And Exclusionary | beSpacific

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Thu Dec 3 17:40:19 EST 2020

There's another side to this, which is that people who sell things often try as hard as they can to make those things seem essential and otherwise out-of-reach.   To lead potential customers into thinking there is energy barrier where there really isn't.   I find I sometimes buy software or a (text)book when I just want to know if there is any there, there.   If I really need it, invariably I end up using open source software.   For example, I can't imagine going back to ArcGIS as now there are QGIS an various geotools for R (the latter two which are free).  This luxury of being able to a bit of lookahead by, well, wasting some money, is what LMIC scientists can't do.   Likewise one could carefully engineer some code to do run quickly, or just slam down some slow scripts on a cluster and waste some energy and get the same answer.  It's not so clear to me that the academic publishing industry really adds a whole lot of value.  Heck, it's not so clear to me that recording ideas forever is really all that useful either, but that's another story.