[FRIAM] New ways of understanding the world

Eric Charles eric.phillip.charles at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 00:05:02 EST 2020

Coming very late to the party... like all the things we talk about here
"foundationalist" can have many meanings. I would assert that the most
basic meaning is that you believe there is some firm starting point for our
thought that *could *be found.

I am tempted to add "and you think we would be better off if we could find
it", however, I think most anti-foundationalists would agree with that part
to. That is, most anti-foundationalists would agree that *if *a firm
foundation was out there to be found, *then *we would be better off if we
could find it. The difference is that the anti-foundationalist doesn't
think the firm starting point can be found, and therefore sees searching
for it as a fools errand.

The metaphor of a "firm foundation" is about being able to build without
worry that the floor will collapse underneath you. It is about thinking
that there is something you can put at the base of your thinking that will
itself never be in danger of needing revision, even if the structures you
build on top prove to be unstable. The clearest example of such an effort
is Descarte's argument that you can doubt everything *except *that
when-you-are-doubting-*you*-are-doubting. Did that turn out to be firm? Not
as much as Descarte had hoped, but the hope itself is clear.

At any rate, you could presumably try to be a foundationalist with any type
of thing serving as the foundation (e.g., logic, metaphysics, epistemology,
truth, experience, metaphor, triads, turtles, etc.).

<echarles at american.edu>