[FRIAM] Please change the damned thread

uǝlƃ ↙↙↙ gepropella at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 17:06:21 EST 2020

OK. But abuse need not be intentional. And I'd argue that most abuse is systemic in this way, habituated patterns that may or may not become unhealthy over time. This would also be true of your breeder example. If there were a time when most people, especially most women, were expected to be breeders, it might well be good feminist policy to support women who happen to be breeders, because there's the expectation that would cover the overwhelming majority of women. However, things change. If we've entered a new period where its no longer true that most people, especially most women, are expected to be breeders, then the prior habituated, systemic pattern is now unintentionally coercive.

And that unintentional coercion has to be recognized before the political will to modify it will be found.

We see a similar pattern in the "defund the po-lice" rhetoric ... and in that Hedges article. Even if Hedges is hyperbolic, the (neoliberal, accidental) abuse must first be hypothesized and, if found true, identified, before it can be rectified.

--
↙↙↙ uǝlƃ