[FRIAM] More on social mobility

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Thu Dec 10 13:40:43 EST 2020

Well I wasn't making a proposal, merely referencing the work mentioned in Edsall's column.
I haven't thought about how to gather evidence it is true, but I can say personally it takes a certain vigilance not to allow perception define reality.   I know other relatively intelligent people who have really lost it when they felt they had no esteem of their colleagues, but in their mind deserved it.  I recognized before others he was coming unwound, I think.  Managing these real or potential rejection situations sometimes this means controlling perception, other times it means defying it.   Comfort with isolation is not easy for everyone.

In terms of the possibility of social mobility, I think of a visitor a few degrees of separation from my family that simply couldn't conceive of the costs of the bay area.  He acted as if it was a different country that he was visiting, one that he would never even think to be a part of.   I tend to attribute this setting of expectations to local influences.  The group polices its own to encourage the members to maintain the group on whatever features its happens to have:   In effect, "You will fail and be rejected by us and by them."  Even if the group has a light touch, intelligent individuals can be prone to ruminating and depression.  In this way, children of rich or well-off families have a more optimistic view of the future than those of poor ones.    The success of the parents shows the child that trying is worthwhile and they can puncture the membranes of different organizations they encounter.