[FRIAM] Sunset and Sunrise

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 22:17:58 EST 2020

Frank,

Andl notice another thing.  The sentence is, on its face, nonsense.  The tilting of the orbit has nothing to do with its elliptical shape.

I have tried to figure out the answer to this question for years and the only explanation that I have come up with is that during the period from early December to early January, the days stay roughly the same length but noon moves.  It has to do with the analemma <https://www.space.com/3304-earth-closest-sun-dead-winter.html#:~:text=The%20noontime%20position%20of%20the%20Sun%20in%20the,line%20running%20through%20the%20analemma%20is%20the%20meridian.> .  Notice that the day-to-day path of the highest sun is moving parallel to the horizon and perpendicular to the meridian during that period. If you think of that moment as “noon”, noon is moving.   But why the analemma?  Your guess is as good as mine.

Have you noticed that the rising full moon is moving rapidly up the horizon.  By march it will be rising in the NE.

Nicholas Thompson

 <mailto:ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com> ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com

 <https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/> https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/